Monday, December 19, 2011

Friendly Beasts, Day 19: Dachshund Rescue of North America


http://drna.org/

When I was planning this blog project, I asked some friends to send me the names of animal groups they enjoy supporting, and one sent me the link for Dachshund Rescue of North America.  I'm very happy to include this group on behalf of my friend, Trish.

Once working as independent rescue workers and smaller groups, the members of DRNA started pooling their resources and networking throughout the US and Canada to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home dachshunds and dachshund-primary mixed dogs.  In addition to basic food and medical care, these rescued dogs receive vaccinations, tests for more severe or chronic illnesses and other veterinarian and behavior assessment care so that the adopter comes into the adoption knowing what to expect from their new family member.

In addition to featuring available dogs and adoption information on their Web site, they also provide information regarding donation and fundraising ideas, event information, even a memorial for those that would like to share a moment with fellow doxie-fans who have lost their beloved pup.

As someone who had a "cousin" doxie for a while (which my aunt named Jenny and swears to this day she wasn't even thinking about that being my name at the time the dog was adopted), I appreciate Trish bringing this organization to my attention, and invite anyone interested in helping these "hot dogs with legs" to visit their Web site (noted above), or find them on Twitter (@DRNAdoxierescue) and Facebook ("Dachshund Rescue of North America (DRNA)")

No comments:

Post a Comment