Monday, November 26, 2012

On the third day of...

I knew I was going to the pharmacy today, so I told a friend I'd keep an eye out for discounts.  While standing in line to get my prescription at the pharmacy, I spied some lip balms on sale.  A two-pack for $1.85.  I bought two of them.

That friend of mine volunteers at a local shelter that primarily offers services to women with children.  However, they also, when they can, provide items to homeless men that pass through their doors seeking assistance.  Because the shelter is known for its assistance to women and children, most of the donations are geared for (and needed for) this population.  However, also because of this, any assistance they can provide to the homeless men is limited to what they have on hand, and they don't often have things on hand for men.

I can't even imagine the simple dignity that must be set aside to ask for just a spare bar of soap, or how it must feel on both ends when the volunteer has to look at the asker and say, "I'm so sorry.  I don't have one to give you."

For under $5, something I would spend on a cup of specialty coffee, I can offer four men relief from chapped winter lips, at least for a little while.  And at least four times, a volunteer will be able to tell someone, "Yes...I have something you can have."

No comments:

Post a Comment