Tuesday, November 27, 2012

On the fourth day of...

So that shelter that my friend volunteers at, the one that I gave the lip balm to?  Well, in addition to accepting and re-circulating clothes in good condition, they separate out the "bad" clothing donations (the stuff too worn, stained, or hole-y to be of use) and sell them by the pound to a recycler who re-purposes them into other things.  They don't advertise this because of the fear of getting inundated with things people are trying to dump, but for those that already volunteer or who have donated before, it is brought up as a way of helping clean out additional household clutter.

So while putting away laundry yesterday, I pulled out a few things that have been hanging out in my closet a while: jeans with holes too worn to repair, sweaters that have certainly seen better days.  Just 3-4 things for now since I didn't have time to dig through the closet and I was busy with another task.  Rather than wait until I can "finish that project" by going through everything, I decided to proceed with getting rid of what I'd already set aside, and brought it to my friend today at work.  For now, at least, those things will add to the pound weight that the shelter gets money back for, a recycler gets a few more items for their projects, and I have a few less things taking up room in my closet.

This was a RAOK on multiple levels (even one back to myself!) and one I hope to do again before the month is over, so you may see a repeat of it soon.  I want very much to be less cluttered and more organized, but I despise throwing things out if they seem even slightly useful still.  Anything I can do to re-purpose things and keep them out of landfills where they slowly rot is a plus for me, and this definitely checks that box on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment