Friday, December 7, 2012

On the twelfth day of...

I'm a couple days behind in blogging but I have been doing the daily RAOK...or trying to, anyway.

On Wednesday, a friend who lives on the other side of the country told me about a job interview that had been scheduled for this morning (Friday).  Though it was for a job she wasn't sure she'd even be qualified for, we were excited for the interview itself...any kind of open door in this economy is a great opportunity.

Knowing money had been tight, and knowing too that if I were to offer, I'd be obstinately declined, I tried to be sneaky and order an online gift certificate that she could print out and take shopping with her to get a new outfit for the interview.  I knew that if it was already in her inbox and purchased, she'd have a much harder time declining it.  Before I left work for the day, I sent her a cryptic message about being sure to check her spam filters.

When I trundled into my house late that evening, having run some errands and such, I had a message on my machine that there had been a problem with my GC order and I needed to call them.  And of course, they had Eastern business hours and had been closed for a while.  Looking over the order confirmation in email, I realized that I had used a CC that expired this same month, and was likely the problem.

Of course, the next day, the jig was up: I had to explain to my friend why I'd had her checking her spam filter all night and why the message never arrived.  As expected, she protested she already had something picked out and ready to go, and didn't need to buy anything more.  We eventually agreed that the universe had clearly decided in her favor by stopping the order from going through, so she won that round.  But I did try (and would/will again if opportunity presents itself).


No comments:

Post a Comment